Friday, March 29, 2013

Two Things More Dangerous Than Gay Marriage


At the risk of simply adding to the white noise over the DOMA act (Defense Of Marriage Act- which defines marriage as being between one man and one woman) being deliberated in the Supreme Court this week, I thought I would share some thoughts I’ve been kicking around since this thing started.  

Honestly, after sifting through the horrifying battle scene unfolding on my facebook feed this week I feel compelled to offer a perspective I can’t believe I haven’t yet heard elsewhere. 
I want to start by saying that I care deeply about people who happen to live on both ends of this issue. So far as I am able, I’d like to clarify some thoughts and offer a perspective which ends with two related issues that I think are more dangerous for Christians than gay marriage. 

Marriage Equality and the “Christian Perspective”

To sum up (admittedly in too few words to do either justice) the two views that I’ve seen represented this week:

It seems to me that folks looking to see DOMA undone focus on the fact that a homosexual man or woman does not enjoy the same freedoms a heterosexual man or woman enjoys because they cannot marry whom they want. DOMA is a restriction of their freedom of choice to marry (and love) whomever they please. More than that, there are perks and rights enjoyed by married couples granted them by the Federal Government that homosexual couples do not receive (practical stuff like hospital visits and tax status).

As a Christian myself, if I have to see one more post either from Christians OR from those who mischaracterize the Christian position I might just puke.  There are plenty awful views to talk about, but maybe MOST frustrating is seeing posts by Christians whose best answer to the watching world is "The bible is against homosexuality".  Beyond whether that statement is true I just don't think that this argument does ANY justice whatsoever to the beauty of what the bible (and the Christian perspective on marriage) is actually promoting.  That’s a conservative stance but not uniquely a Christian stance and those had better be separated in our minds no matter who we are and what we believe.  Where is the unique understanding of Biblical theology and the gospel?  

For an amazing look at what a sound Christian theology of marriage can mean check out this video from Justin Taylor’s blog.

All of this has got me thinking... 
Two Things More Dangerous for Christians Than Gay Marriage

1. Biblical and cultural illiteracy.
Very few people from within the church seem able to articulate why this ought to be a GOSPEL conversation and not merely a "culture war".  This untethering from the gospel implications and theology for marriage has led to ENORMOUS compromise by Christians who, due to a lack of Biblical thinking and theological understanding, either alienate themselves, and others, or capitulate by saying; "This is what I believe, but it's totally okay if you want to believe and live THAT way - I sin too, so I'll be quiet." The latter is Christian relativism, and it's not “meta,” it's cowardly. We are called to be patient and gentle when interacting over issues like this with someone who doesn't consider themselves subject to the Lord. But if we also see the greatness and grandeur of Jesus Christ proclaimed in and through marriage, there isn’t any wiggle room for speaking of it in either an offensive way or in a wussy way.  The gladness of people in the greatness of God is worth losing your life for, let alone a handful of off-color remarks about you.  

2. Divorce.
Christians, let's be honest - divorce is a FAR MORE devastating phenomenon on our families and witness than gay marriage. Don't mishear me: I'm not saying he debate over gay marriage is unimportant - I just don't think right now in the life of the church it's the most detrimental thing to our families.  This spectre works from within and is wreaking havoc on us as we speak.  But maybe if we expend our energy and resources on a different issue nobody will notice, right? 

There are certainly other issues with the ways I’ve watched this debacle play out this week (such as ostracizing people from the Church and creating prerequisites for faith), but these two issues loom large and are enough for now.

This post co-authored by Ole and Andy.











No comments:

Post a Comment