Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Tolkien: A Practical Joke

So I am a huge fan of J.R.R. Tolkien - author of The Lord of The Rings Trilogy and wider Middle Earth mythology. I appreciate this man's mastery of the English language and have become a better student and thinker because of his work. But, he was NOT ALWAYS using his love of language for academic pursuits! I thought I would share a joke that Tolkien came up with as a student at Oxford around 1913. 
One day a friend of Tolkien's purchased a pair of silk gloves for his lady. He was foolish enough to send the gloves along with the following love letter with his friends (Tolkien and the gang). They switched the gloves with a pair of ladies underwear along the way. Imagine her surprise when receiving the "gift" with THIS letter...
 
Dear Velma:
This little token is to remind you that I haven't forgotten your birthday. I didn't choose it because I thought you needed them, or because you haven't been in the habit of wearing them, or because we go out evenings. Had it not been for my sister I would have gotten long ones but she says they are wearing the short ones-with one button. They are a very delicate color, I know, but the lady clerk showed me a pair she had worn for three weeks, and they were scarcely soiled at all. How I wish I might put them on you for the first time! No doubt many other gentlemen's hands will touch them before I get a chance to see you again, but I hope you will think of me every time you put them on. I had the lady clerk try them on and they looked very neat on her. I did not know the exact size, but I should be capable of judging nearer than anyone else. When you put them on for the first time put a little powder in them and they will slip on easier. When you remove them blow in them before laying them away as they will naturally be a little damp from wearing. Hoping that you will accept them in the same spirit in which they are given and that you will wear them to the dance Friday night, I remain

Lovingly yours:-
John

P.S. Note the number of times I will kiss the back of them in the coming year!

6 comments:

  1. Where, o where, did you find this gem?

    ReplyDelete
  2. also- best pic possible- couldn't be better!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This Post was in honor of you, brother! Happy Birthday! I thought of you the whole time I was posting it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well done Tolkien! That's exactly the kind of thing we need more of from our brightest scholars in this era!

    ReplyDelete
  5. my wife and i just had a great laugh. man, that's really funny! love the blog name too....

    ReplyDelete
  6. Now that's awkward. Aaron....... you and Tolkien!!

    ReplyDelete