Sunday, January 30, 2011

Crunch Time


I was listening to Christian radio the other day. I don't do this often, but I guess I was in one of those moods where I just wanted something that was going to be safe, uplifting, and encouraging- which is a motto of theirs. But that's another post for another day. The program I was listening to was making a big deal of a potential Super Bowl commercial in which the priests of a Catholic Church serve Doritos and Pepsi in an effort to increase church attendance.


The program wasn't even Catholic. The thing that I really found interesting was that their concern was how the church was being portrayed to the world through this commercial, not the defilement of the sacrament of communion. Then they called for Christians everywhere to boycott Doritos and Pepsi in response. What do you think? Is this an appropriate response? Let's keep in mind that the video 1. Was not made by Doritos but by a consumer for a contest and 2. It did not make the finalist list and will not be aired during the Super Bowl.

6 comments:

  1. I thought it was interesting. I kind of enjoyed it in the sense of it being a commercial, and strictly that.
    Although, I would pose the suggestion that is a good representation of what Christianity is becoming. To many people are concerned with the image of the "church" and bending the rules to make it work for everyone, basically ignoring the facts of what faith is. Concerned with numbers, money and image. The exact opposite of what faith is.
    I'm sure that wasn't the intention of the commercial, but if you want to analyze it for how it can be interpreted for us as believers, that is what I would say.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think it is more telling that people actually care and dedicate a radio program to talking about it. The commercial is kinda funny, and yet, once again, the crazy Christians throw a stink fit over our faith being taken lightly, not esteemed, and shamed (Hmmm, I think there are Bible verses that SAY this will happen).

    This falls right into the category of those brothers and sisters who lose their minds that Christ is not highly revered in culture, politics, business, etc. Our response is to boycott those businesses and organizations that do not bend to our whims, and we create parallel, Christian institutions and products (Christian radio being one of them). I can expect to see a Christian version of Doritos and Pepsi soon.

    I think this is more telling that we do not seek to humbly look at ourselves and not necessarily change the image of the church, but focus on what really matters, which is Christ and what he commands for His church (preach the Word, associate with the lowly, love another, etc.) The image of the church needs to change in America, but it needs to be the image of God, visible through His followers and his church.

    BTW, this is a great discussion to blog about. I think I may pick it up over at mine. Thanks Andy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. i think we should boycott the station instead.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Josh, I will look for "Christ crisps" and "Jesus juice" next to the Savior scented candles at my local Christian bookstore. Do you think Drew has a good point about the commercial potentially perpetuating the stereotype that churches mainly care about money and number, though?

    ReplyDelete
  5. @ Robert - Yup. I've been boycotting that station ever since they became "safe for my whole family", just like Jesus.

    @ Andy - We should do a blog on Christian radio in general...

    ReplyDelete
  6. that was a good video joke there. it was really funny. i hope that other religion would not be offended by this video.

    Sig: Andrew | home medical equipment

    ReplyDelete