Thursday, February 3, 2011

IS THERE ROOM IN THIS POCKET FOR A LITTLE SPARE CHAN?

I was at the Desiring God Conference for Pastors this week (despite NOT being a Pastor) and I had the privilege of hearing Francis Chan speak on "Prayer as a Way of Walking in Love". I came into the conference with an unexplainable skepticism about Chan, despite listening to his talk on Humility at the DG Conference - which was great.

You should listen to Chan's message from the Pastor's Conference - it is yummy. His passion manifested itself in a 5 minute tiraid of wild hand gesticulations (and can I just add that that man's hands are disproportionately enormous?) and "crazy" gushing commendations of his God. I appreciated (and was thoroughly entertained by) his antics. His style stands in sharp contrast to the usual decorum represented among the DGPC speakers. During the panel Chan sat next to Beeke - President of Puritan Reformed Seminary - the photo-negative image of Chan. Beeke wore a suit and built his talks after the fashion of the Puritans - even including objections and their rebuttals. Chan was dressed comfortably and spoke colloquially - walking us through a series of his own life experiences - which are WAY more interesting than mine, go figure.

I was slain by Beeke's talks - particularly his talk on Family Worship. Good luck listening to that without curling up into the fetal position and crying. I appreciated Beeke and his words - he stands amid the throng of excellent speakers I've come to expect when I go to DGPC.

What surprised me was how much I enjoyed Francis Chan's message. He showed a GENUINE commitment to the Christian Hedonism which marks so many of the DGPC speakers. Francis Chan is the real deal. I don't know about you, but that excites me - because he is VERY DIFFERENT in context from the usual suspects at DG, but he still "gets it". I need go no further. That is the sum of my thoughts on Chan - who I think has secured his place among "The Big Guys". (Not at all to suggest that he was less than a big deal with his own ministry and his publication of "Crazy Love").

As you listen to these talks, or if you were there... Please comment on what YOU think. Talk amongst yourselves...

6 comments:

  1. Well, thanks for this summary. I appreciated Chan as well. Some pros/cons on Chan:
    Pros:
    1. Hands like mountains. They are large and in charge and flail the point of whatever he is talking about home (and when he puts all his fingers together in a point, its like the wedge of a maul splitting your heart).
    2. Bursting enthusiasm. He levitated through most of his talk (was he shining? or was that the DepthCharge coffee/espresso mix I had?). He is not bored to death with God, but rather excited to life. This makes the times when he just stands still and stares (a very steely gaze he has when he wants to) a very effective time to ask a convicting question ("If I read the transcript of your prayers from the last few weeks, what would be the dominant theme?" ouch.).
    3. A willingness to press. During the Q&A Chan was the only one who expressed concern for people who don't have their prayers answered, suggesting that this is a time to check one's self. He does not cry "peace, peace" when there is no peace.
    4. A HELPFUL experiential apologetic. God, the living God, hears our prayers. This distinguishes him from all other gods, who are dead.
    Cons:
    1. Hands like mountains. I was sooo distracted by their Himalayan proportions.
    2. That's pretty much it for now.

    ReplyDelete
  2. @ Aaron - HAHA! I'd say you've captured it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. A little clarity on point 3 above: I am not suggesting that the other men at the conference did cry "peace, peace." Chan was simply the one to deal with this issue.

    ReplyDelete
  4. "Are you kidding me! Why do you care about that? That's ridiculous!" -Francis Chan talking to God with hands excitedly waving about.

    The quote above is partly an inside joke for those of us who were at the conference, but here's the serious thing. It really is crazy the little things that God cares about and answers prayer about.

    But it only makes sense when your understanding of God is on track with Scripture. Acts 17:24-26, Many passages in especially the latter part of Job, Passages all over in the prophets and minor prophets. I would list more of them if I had more time, but the point I am making in relation to Luke's discussion about Chan is this: The God he follows and worships and prays to is big. Sovereign. In control. And yet cares for His children.

    The take home message: Make sure your God is not too small. If we don't come to the same place the Psalmist does in describing God in Psalm 139, then our god is something less than God, something less than what scripture describes to us, something less than the all-glorious, all-knowing, all-powerful, awe-inspiring God that created us and gives us life and breath and everything. In any attempt to know fully who God is, we are destined to echo Psalm 139:6 "Such knowledge is too wonderful for me; it is high; I cannot attain it."

    So I thank you Chan, for your understanding of the God who we never will fully understand, your trust in his power and sovereignty, and your life of communion with Him through prayer, knowing that as small as you and your cares are, He cares about them.

    A hearty amen to Aaron's comments as well.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I thought I was in a boat by myself, but I am glad to see others "reformed" in their theology who feel encouraged in the Truth through the way God uses the enthusiasm and edification of Francis Chan. Cool.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Francis Chan is the real deal and I'm excited to be a part of his ministry in San Francisco. He is humble and so filled with the Holy Spirit when you talk to him. So many pastors need to learn from him because he truly wants to glorify the Lord with all his heart, mind, and soul..An inspiration...

    ReplyDelete